Reception 2021 - 2022
Welcome to Reception Class
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Class Teacher - Miss Birchenough
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaTeacher Assistant - Mrs Woby
Welcome back to busy and exciting Summer term! I can’t believe I have only one term left with your children – the year is flying by.
This term, we will be exploring ‘Our Wonderful Planet’. As we move through the term, the topic will be divided into smaller themes, each being covered for a few weeks. We will be learning about space, jungles, ‘under the sea’, our back garden, and finally finishing the term thinking about how we can take care of our world. Within these topics, our activities will be focused on specific books. Some of the fiction books we are reading this half term include:
In Religion we will be covering the topics ‘New Life’ and ‘The Church’. The children will be learning about the special meaning of Easter and the Resurrection of Jesus. They will learn that it is a time to celebrate. In the second half of the summer term the children will be learning about some of the objects and symbols they might see in church and their significance. We will be visiting the St. Gabriel’s church during the first half term.
At home, you could help your children by:
• saying or sharing prayers together
• talk about people who help us e.g. nurses, doctors
• talk about how we can help others
• giving them jobs which help at home
Phonics and Reading in Reception
We are now following the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised Phonics Programme. Each week, I will add new sounds and tricky words to the yellow phonics book. Please practice these daily.
The children will each read three times a week in school and their new book will be sent home after the third day, either Thursday or Friday. Please read as often as you can. We are working hard to segment and blend lots of new words containing all of the new sounds we have learnt.
You can see more about how we teach phonics and how you can support your child with phonics and reading on the Little Wandle website: https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/
Things to send to school every day:
- A coat
- A hat and gloves (on cold days)
- Sun hat (on warm days)
- Spare underwear/socks
- Water bottle
- Book bag, reading record/reading book
Things you can do at home together:
- Share a story/read every day
- Play games/board games which involve taking turns/counting
- Practice using scissors and cutting out different shapes
- Use a range of mark-making materials: chalk, felt tips, paintbrushes with paints/water etc. on different surfaces (table-top, easel, outside on brick walls/drives/patios)
- Use play-doh (or similar) and practice rolling out with a rolling pin, squeezing, stretching, rolling etc.
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Reception: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display