Religious education is a fundamental part of life at St Gabriel’s. As well as the classroom based sessions our children are also exposed to a number of religious events and activities across the whole school such as whole school masses, liturgies, assemblies and charity events. We feel it is important to express that religious education is not a discrete subject- it happens all the time, it is at the centre of all we do.
We follow the Shrewsbury Diocese scheme of work ‘The Way, The Truth and The Life.’ from Reception up to Year 6. The children are exposed to creative and stimulating lessons in which their ideas, thoughts and questions are welcomed.
We aim to support, extend and clarify our children’s faith by:
- Developing spiritual, social and moral behaviour based on firm Christian ideals.
- Providing the experience of living in a community within the framework of home, school and parish.
- Preparing our children for the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist.
- Enabling children to develop an understanding of our faith and love of liturgy, sacraments and prayer through a variety of celebration and worship.
- Enabling children to acquire the foundations of faith through the teaching of doctrine in the context of their own life experiences and stage of development.
- Sharing gospel values, and bringing the children to a deeper understanding and love of God.
- We strive to foster a living faith, which will touch every aspect of their lives.
Formal RE is delivered through the scheme The Way the Truth and the Life, which is followed according to the Shrewsbury Diocesan guidelines.
The Way the Truth and the Life scheme is implemented from Early years through to year 6. Each year is split into 6 topics, one per half term and is organised to coincide with major events in the liturgical year. Each year group studies a different topic.
Foundation & Key Stage 1
The Way, the Truth & the Life syllabus:
|F1 God's World||F2 God's family||F3 Getting to know Jesus||F4 Sorrow and Joy||F5 New Life||F6 Church|
|KS 1.1 God's great plan||KS 1.2 Mary Mother of God||KS 1.3 Families & Celebrations||KS 1.4 Following Jesus||KS 1.5 Resurrection||KS 1.6 Miracles|
|KS 2.1 Chosen people||KS 2.2 Mysteries||KS 2.3 The Good News||KS 2.4 The Mass||KS 2.5 Eastertide||KS 2.6 Birth of the Church|
The Way, the Truth & the Life syllabus.
|3.1 The Christian Church||3.2 Mary our Mother||3.3 Called to change||3.4 Eucharist||3.5 Celebrating||3.6 Being a Christian|
|4.1 The Bible||4.2 Trust in God||4.3 Jesus the teacher||4.4 Jesus the Saviour||4.5 The mission of the Church||4.6 Belonging to the Church|
|5.1 Gifts from God||5.2 The Command- ments||5.3 Inspirational people||5.4 Reconciliation||5.5 Life in the risen Jesus||5.6 People of other faiths|
|6.1 The Kingdom of God||6.2 Justice||6.3 Jesus the Bread of Life||6.4 Jesus the Son of God||6.5 The work of the Apostles||6.6 Called to serve|