Reception 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Reception Class
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaClass Teacher - Miss Birchenough
Welcome to a busy and very exciting Autumn term!
We will spend lots of time getting to know our new environment and building friendships and relationships over the next few weeks.
This half term, we will be exploring our topic ‘Magical Me’. As we move through the term, we will be encouraging the children to think about their interests, what makes them the same and different, how they have changed since they were a baby and lots more. We will also be thinking about how we can take care of ourselves.
In Religion we will be covering the topic ‘God's World’. The children will be learning about all of the special things God made for us. They will be thinking about ways in which we can take care of the world, just as God has asked us. The children will learn about God's love for all of us and how God made each one of us different and special.
At home, you could help your children by:
- saying or sharing prayers together
- talk about people who help us e.g. nurses, doctors
- talk about how we can help others
- giving them jobs which help at home
Phonics and Reading in Reception
We follow the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised Phonics Programme. Each week, I will share the new sounds and tricky words we have learnt via the 'CHAT - PLAY - LEARN' document shared on Class Dojo. Please practice these daily.
The children will each read three times a week in school and their new book will be sent home after the third day, either Thursday or Friday. Please read as often as you can. We are working hard to segment and blend lots of new words containing all of the new sounds we have learnt.
You can see more about how we teach phonics and how you can support your child with phonics and reading on the Little Wandle website: https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/
Our PE lesson with ASM is on Thursdays. Please leave PE kits in school all week as we will also have additional PE and Sport on other days.
Things to send to school every day:
- A coat
- A hat and gloves (on cold days)
- Sun hat (on warm days)
- Spare underwear/socks
- Water bottle
- Book bag, reading record/reading book
Things you can do at home together:
- Share a story/read every day
- Play games/board games which involve taking turns/counting
- Practice using scissors and cutting out different shapes
- Use a range of mark-making materials: chalk, felt tips, paintbrushes with paints/water etc. on different surfaces (table-top, easel, outside on brick walls/drives/patios)
- Use play-doh (or similar) and practice rolling out with a rolling pin, squeezing, stretching, rolling etc.
Reception: News items
There are no News items to display
Reception: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Reception: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display