Year 6 2023 - 2024
Welcome to the Autumn Term 2023. The welcome letter is available in the files section below.
HOMEWORK: PLEASE SEE THE BLUE BUTTONS AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.
Ms Dickenson, Mrs Townson and Mrs Stokes welcome you to the Year 6 page!
We have lots of exciting things planned for this term and we can't wait to get started.
Key Dates for Year 6:
26/9/23: CAFOD visit
27/9/23: Trumpet assembly
29/9/23: MacMillan coffee morning hosted by Year 6
5/10/23: School photos
5/10/23: Parent/teacher consultations
11/10/23: Whole School Retreat Day 'One Life Mission'
13/10/23: Jazz Roadshow Interactive Workshop
16/10/23: Year 6 Maya Workshop day
17&18/10/23: Orienteering session
20/10/23: Break up
30/10/23: INSET day
31/10/23: Return to school
10/11/23: Remembrance Day Assembly led by Year 6
10/11/23: Fluenz vaccine
22/12/23: Break up
8/1/24: Return to school
12/2/24: Stanley Head
16/2/24: Break up
26/2/24: Return to school
28/3/24: Break up
15/4/24: Return to school
3/5/24: Bank holiday
6/5/24: Bank holiday
7/5/24: Return to school
13/5/24: SATs week
23/5/24: Break up
24/5/24: INSET day
3/6/24: Return to school
19/7/24: Leavers' assembly
19/7/24: Break up
22/7/24: INSET day
23/7/24: INSET day
Please see below for an overview of our learning this term. For more detail, please see the Welcome Letter which will be sent home within the first few days of term. This letter will also be available in the files section below once term begins.
Curriculum for the Autumn Term
The Kingdom of God
- To know about the Kingdom of God and reflect on its meaning
To understand that everyone is invited into the Kingdom of God and consider ways to share this Good News.
To understand the words and actions necessary to show commitment to the Kingdom.
- To reflect on words and deeds necessary to show commitment to the Kingdom.
To know that Jesus has compassion for all who suffer.
- To know about people who helped to spread the Kingdom of God
To understand the meaning of justice
To know about some people who have been persecuted for speaking out against injustice
To know about some people who work for justice
- To know that in Advent we prepare to celebrate the birthday of Jesus
To know about the Incarnation
- Place value
- Four operations
- Imperial and metric measures
Key texts: The Hero Twins by Dan Jolley & Oh Maya Gods! by Maz Evans
Reading comprehensions on a variety of texts including modern classics.
Writing - Descriptive narrative; diary entry, information text & explanation
Spelling - Revision of 3/4/5/6 statutory words; Year 6 spelling patterns
- Revision of nouns, verbs, adjectives
- Noun phrases
- Adverbs & adverbials
- Coordinating Conjunctions
- Verb tenses: simple past/present; present perfect
Whole class guided reading - The Eye of the Wolf
- To investigate the fact that light travels in a straight line
- To understand and explain angles of incidence and reflection
- To understand what refraction is
- To understand how shadows are formed
- To understand the colour spectrum
- To understand how electricity has impacted our lives
- To learn about the famous scientists who have made important discoveries about electricity
- To understand voltage and how it effects electrical circuits
- To understand and use circuit symbols
- To use our knowledge of circuits to create our own electrical game
Geography & History
- To use evidence to reach conclusions about the lives of the Maya in the past and the present
To reach conclusions about the Maya by investigating their ancient cities, and to understand why the cities remained hidden for so long.
To know and understand why religion was important to the Maya.
- To investigate Maya technology and culture, and reach a conclusion on how advanced Maya society was
- To be able to provide valid reasons why the Maya disappeared around 900 AD
- To reach a conclusion about whether the Maya are a significant society and should be remembered
South America - The Amazon
To understand what the Amazon is, and where it is located
To understand the Amazon’s climate, and how the native animals are adapted to it
To research the Amazonian city of Manaus
To understand what life is like in the Amazon, and how it is changing
To understand how the Amazon is being damaged and how it can be protected
To understand the value of the Amazon and how it can be protected
- Online Safety
- Maya Art
- Experimental mark making
- Symbolic imagery
- Street Art
- Powerful Imagery
Design & Technology
Steady Hand Game
Year 6: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 6: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 6: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display